Monday, March 26, 2012

Bob


The Droogs (Adam LaMee, Bobby Wieboldt, Ollie Byrd, Michael Bundy)

This is the flier from my first "real paid gig." Bob, the second from the left, had a neighbor or something who was looking for a band to headline shows at a Daytona Beach club called 600 North. Bob just told the neighbor that he had a band, and that his band would do it. But Bob didn't really have a band.

The next day at school after Bob talked to this lady, I think it was September of 11th grade for me, Bob approached those people whom he thought would make a good band. I was put on guitar, Adam was put on vocals, and my good friend Mike was made drummer. Over a period of 3 weeks we practiced putting a set together. The set was really bizarre. We covered The Doors, Danzig, and the Violent Femmes. The lady came with a photographer to watch the set. That's the day this picture was taken. (We got the gig.)

This was remarkable for Bob to have accomplished all of this. He basically was a pro, Hollywood-style, wheeling and dealing player of the trade - as a senior in high school. And Bob accomplished putting together this band while also living a rich, complicated, and exciting social life. And he was a damn good bass player too. He played with punch, verve, and nuance.

Bob died this month after a long struggle with a chronic arthritis illness. He was a charming, loving, and very friendly guy. He was by no means perfect. But I know that my life would be much less interesting had he not been in it. I'll miss you Bob.

No comments: